The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 10 May 2022 ~ Partakers Of Christ’s Sufferings And Glory
TOPIC: Partakers Of Christ’s Sufferings And Glory
READ: 1 Peter 4:12-19 (NKJV)
- Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you;
- but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.
- If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed [are you,] for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified.
- But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as a busybody in other people’s matters.
- Yet if [anyone suffers] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
- For the time [has come] for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if [it begins] with us first, what will [be] the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?
- Now “If the righteous one is scarcely saved, Where will the ungodly and the sinner appear?”
- Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls [to Him] in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.
God has given us exceedingly great and precious promises that include participation in the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4). This will be fully made manifest when Christ returns, because then we shall see Him as He is, and we shall be like Him (1 John 3:2). In the meantime, as we live our lives on earth, Christ’s nature in us moves us to live pure and holy lives (2 Corinthians 5:4). This nature and the resulting lifestyle are contrary to the prevailing worldly system, resulting in conflict with the world as well as persecution, trials and the like (Galatians 5:17).
If suffering, hardship or difficulty comes to a Christian because of his righteous lifestyle resulting from his faith, he should not be surprised (verse 12). Indeed, he should rejoice as the apostles did (verses 13-14; Acts 5:41). Many saints of old also suffered for their faith (Hebrews 11:35-38). And Jesus told us that we may experience persecution like Him (Matthew 10:24-25; 24:9; John 15:20). Verse 15 cautions us to make sure we never suffer as evildoers. Are you currently passing through a hardship, challenge or difficulty because of your faith in Christ? Cheer up! Don’t give up. May the Lord send you help as He did for the apostles (Acts 5:17-20).
PRAYER: Dear Lord, please deliver us from all evils in Jesus’ name, Amen.