The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 12 April 2022 – The True Measure Of Greatness
TOPIC: The True Measure Of Greatness
READ: Luke 22:24-38 (NKJV)
- Now there was also a dispute among them, as to which of them should be considered the greatest.
- And He said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those who exercise authority over them are called ‘benefactors.’
- “But not so [among] you; on the contrary, he who is greatest among you, let him be as the younger, and he who governs as he who serves.
- “For who [is] greater, he who sits at the table, or he who serves? [Is] it not he who sits at the table? Yet I am among you as the One who serves.
- “But you are those who have continued with Me in My trials.
- “And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed [one] upon Me,
- “that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”
- And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift [you] as wheat.
- “But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to [Me,] strengthen your brethren.”
- But he said to Him, “Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death.”
- Then He said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster shall not crow this day before you will deny three times that you know Me.”
- And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?” So they said, “Nothing.”
- Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take [it,] and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
- “For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
- So they said, “Lord, look, here [are] two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”
The disciples argued among themselves as to who was the greatest – they clamoured for rank and position! Then Jesus gave them the divinely acceptable measure of greatness in the kingdom: Whoever wants to be the greatest among you, shall be the servant of you all.
The quest for position is inherent in man. And worse still, that quest is now also in the Church: People agitate for power, not because of their love for God but for personal gain.
But the standard of Christ is simple: The yardstick for measuring greatness in the kingdom of God is the yardstick of serving the people of God in all sincerity and simplicity. Let us follow the pattern Jesus set for us: Genuine Christian service is the kingdom of God!
PRAYER: Oh Lord, help me to serve You and Your people sincerely and in humility.