The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 12 May 2022 ~ Let Us Go To The House Of The Lord
TOPIC: Let Us Go To The House Of The Lord
READ: Psalm 122:1-9 (NKJV)
- A Song of Ascents. Of David. I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go into the house of the LORD.”
- Our feet have been standing Within your gates, O Jerusalem!
- Jerusalem is built As a city that is compact together,
- Where the tribes go up, The tribes of the LORD, To the Testimony of Israel, To give thanks to the name of the LORD.
- For thrones are set there for judgment, The thrones of the house of David.
- Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May they prosper who love you.
- Peace be within your walls, Prosperity within your palaces.”
- For the sake of my brethren and companions, I will now say, “Peace [be] within you.”
- Because of the house of the LORD our God I will seek your good.
During the time of David, the major ‘House of the Lord’ was in Jerusalem, which was also the seat of government. Every mature Israelite male was required to go on pilgrimage to Jerusalem at least three times a year, especially during the major feasts (Exodus 34:23). Jesus often went to Jerusalem during those periods (John 5:1).
The Lord’s house is a place of worship, preaching, teaching, as well as thanksgivings, prayers and intercessions (verses 4, 7). In John 4:21-24, Jesus showed that God could be worshipped anywhere. What matters is that those who worship God must do so in spirit and truth. Each of us needs to take part in building the ‘House of the Lord’ around us, and also inviting others to come into it. This could be done through active evangelism at individual or group levels. As the Psalmist prayed for the peace of Jerusalem, let us all pray for and work towards establishing and maintaining strong and effective centres for the propagation of the Gospel throughout our land. This should begin from our homes.
PRAYER: O Lord, let there be peace within our land, and prosperity within our borders (verse 7).