The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 19 June 2022 ~ Put Off And On
TOPIC: Put Off And On
READ: I Peter 2:1-10 (NKJV)
- Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking,
- as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
- if indeed you have tasted that the Lord [is] gracious.
- Coming to Him [as to] a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God [and] precious,
- you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
- Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture, “Behold, I lay in Zion A chief cornerstone, elect, precious, And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.”
- Therefore, to you who believe, [He is] precious; but to those who are disobedient, “The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone,”
- and “A stone of stumbling And a rock of offense.” They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed.
- But you [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
- who once [were] not a people but [are] now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.
Apostle Peter outlines the requirements for believers, starting with behaviours to be put off before putting on. The things to be put off include every trace of wickedness, depravity, malignity, deceit, insincerity, pretense, hypocrisy, grudges, envy, jealousy, slander and all sorts of evil-speaking.
After this, the believer is expected to develop an innate desire and daily thirst for the unadulterated word of God for his spiritual growth; he is to put on a habit of coming to God in prayer and worship to offer spiritual sacrifices which is acceptable to God.
Spiritual stagnancy is not expected of a believer. He is to grow and be built up daily as a spiritual house. He is expected to rely on and trust in Jesus as he lives like a chosen generation and as dedicated royal priests, specially chosen to display the virtues and perfections of God through his lives.
Have you put off the evil works of darkness listed in verse one of our text? Are you building up your spiritual life through daily disciplined Bible study, meditation on the word and prayer? Is your life radiating the glorious virtues of God like holiness, faith, commitment and love? Remember that those who disobey and disbelieve will stumble and be disappointed at the end (verse 7-8). Beware and obey before it is too late.
PRAYER: O God, please help me to put off behaviours that are displeasing to You and live a life that will glorify You in Jesus’ name.