The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 2 April 2022 – A Plot Against Jeremiah
TOPIC: A Plot Against Jeremiah
READ: Jeremiah 11:18-12:6 (NKJV)
- Now the LORD gave me knowledge [of it,] and I know [it;] for You showed me their doings.
- But I [was] like a docile lamb brought to the slaughter; and I did not know that they had devised schemes against me, [saying,] “Let us destroy the tree with its fruit, and let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name may be remembered no more.”
- But, O LORD of hosts, You who judge righteously, Testing the mind and the heart, Let me see Your vengeance on them, For to You I have revealed my cause.
- ” Therefore thus says the LORD concerning the men of Anathoth who seek your life, saying, ‘Do not prophesy in the name of the LORD, lest you die by our hand’
- “therefore thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘Behold, I will punish them. The young men shall die by the sword, their sons and their daughters shall die by famine;
- ‘and there shall be no remnant of them, for I will bring catastrophe on the men of Anathoth, [even] the year of their punishment.’ “
12:1. Righteous [are] You, O LORD, when I plead with You; Yet let me talk with You about [Your] judgments. Why does the way of the wicked prosper? [Why] are those happy who deal so treacherously?
- You have planted them, yes, they have taken root; They grow, yes, they bear fruit. You [are] near in their mouth But far from their mind.
- But You, O LORD, know me; You have seen me, And You have tested my heart toward You. Pull them out like sheep for the slaughter, And prepare them for the day of slaughter.
- How long will the land mourn, And the herbs of every field wither? The beasts and birds are consumed, For the wickedness of those who dwell there, Because they said, “He will not see our final end.”
- ” If you have run with the footmen, and they have wearied you, Then how can you contend with horses? And [if] in the land of peace, [In which] you trusted, [they wearied you,] Then how will you do in the floodplain of the Jordan?
- For even your brothers, the house of your father, Even they have dealt treacherously with you; Yes, they have called a multitude after you. Do not believe them, Even though they speak smooth words to you.
Sometimes, our stand for God can cost us our lives. In our scripture today, this was the situation that the Prophet faced in his time. The people plotted to kill Prophet Jeremiah simply because he prophesied in the name of the Lord (verse 21).
As a result, the life of the prophet was in danger and in response, Jeremiah called upon the Lord; and He answered him. From the experience of Jeremiah and the general knowledge of the word of God, we discover that our lives may be in danger when we take a righteous stand for God whether at work, in the society or in preaching the undiluted word of God or in defending the faith.
There will always be opposition and danger. But God’s word assures us that in the midst of the danger and conspiracy against our lives, as long as we stand for God and He is for us, no one can destroy us! Therefore, let us, like Jeremiah, stand and speak for God, no matter the danger; God will always save His people in such circumstances.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, please give me the grace to always stand for You no matter the cost!.