The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 2 May 2022 ~ Count It All Joy
TOPIC: Count It All Joy
READ: James 1:1-12 (NKJV)
- James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad: Greetings.
- My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
- knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
- But let patience have [its] perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
- If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
- But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.
- For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;
- [he is] a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
- Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation,
- but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away.
- For no sooner has the sun risen with a burning heat than it withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beautiful appearance perishes. So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits.
- Blessed [is] the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
It is natural to rejoice when there is victory, success, promotion and the like. But our text shows that a Christian should rejoice even when there are troubles, temptations, hardships or challenges. Philippians 4:4 urges every child of God to rejoice in the Lord always, no matter the prevailing circumstances.
Our Lord Jesus Christ suffered many hardships and difficulties, yet He remained calm and became victorious (Matthew 27:27-31). The first apostles rejoiced that they were counted worthy to suffer for the name of Jesus (Acts 5:41). Paul also suffered greatly, but counted it all joy (2 Corinthians 11:23-25). Are you facing any serious challenge or hard times? Ask God for wisdom to take appropriate actions (verse 5). Pray in faith, and God will answer you (verse 6).
PRAYER: Unto Thee O Lord, do I lift up my soul (Psalm 25:1).