The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 22 June 2022 ~ Grace Given To Each One Of Us
TOPIC: Grace Given To Each One Of Us
READ: Ephesians 4:7-11 (NKJV)
- But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
- Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.”
- (Now this, “He ascended” — what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
- He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)
- And He Himself gave some [to be] apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
In order to foster the unity and growth of the Church, grace has been given to every believer. This grace is a special ability that enables every member to work for the strengthening of the Church. When Christ ascended into heaven after His resurrection, He released these gifts and apportioned them by the Holy Spirit to His children. In His wisdom, He called people into different offices to serve as:
- Apostles: These people are sent to proclaim the gospel and also serve as Church leaders
- Prophets: Chosen to communicate God’s message to the Church and sometimes unveil future events
- Evangelists: This group proclaims the gospel and harvests ripe souls for God’s kingdom
- Pastors: They are gifted to teach the word of God correctly, etc. We must note that these gifts are not independent but inter-related; for example, when an evangelist wins souls, a pastor is needed to teach the word of God to disciple the souls.
When an Apostle starts new Churches, he can also disciple them as a pastor and even function as a prophet to communicate the mind of God as the Spirit wills. Today’s reading challenges us to use our God-given grace to build the Church . We are saved to serve. Have you identified the grace given to you? How are you using it?
PRAYER: Dear Lord, may I never use this grace in vain! Amen.