The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 23 May 2022 ~ Give Firstfruits And Tithes
TOPIC: Give Firstfruits And Tithes
READ: Deuteronomy 26: 1-19 (NKJV)
- “And it shall be, when you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you [as] an inheritance, and you possess it and dwell in it,
- “that you shall take some of the first of all the produce of the ground, which you shall bring from your land that the LORD your God is giving you, and put [it] in a basket and go to the place where the LORD your God chooses to make His name abide.
- “And you shall go to the one who is priest in those days, and say to him, ‘I declare today to the LORD your God that I have come to the country which the LORD swore to our fathers to give us.’
- “Then the priest shall take the basket out of your hand and set it down before the altar of the LORD your God.
- “And you shall answer and say before the LORD your God: ‘My father [was] a Syrian, about to perish, and he went down to Egypt and dwelt there, few in number; and there he became a nation, great, mighty, and populous.
- ‘But the Egyptians mistreated us, afflicted us, and laid hard bondage on us.
- ‘Then we cried out to the LORD God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and looked on our affliction and our labor and our oppression.
- ‘So the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm, with great terror and with signs and wonders.
- ‘He has brought us to this place and has given us this land, “a land flowing with milk and honey”;
- ‘and now, behold, I have brought the firstfruits of the land which you, O LORD, have given me.’ Then you shall set it before the LORD your God, and worship before the LORD your God.
- “So you shall rejoice in every good [thing] which the LORD your God has given to you and your house, you and the Levite and the stranger who [is] among you.
- ” When you have finished laying aside all the tithe of your increase in the third year — the year of tithing — and have given [it] to the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, so that they may eat within your gates and be filled,
- “then you shall say before the LORD your God: ‘I have removed the holy [tithe] from [my] house, and also have given them to the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, according to all Your commandments which You have commanded me; I have not transgressed Your commandments, nor have I forgotten [them.]
- ‘I have not eaten any of it when in mourning, nor have I removed [any] of it for an unclean [use,] nor given [any] of it for the dead. I have obeyed the voice of the LORD my God, and have done according to all that You have commanded me.
- ‘Look down from Your holy habitation, from heaven, and bless Your people Israel and the land which You have given us, just as You swore to our fathers, “a land flowing with milk and honey.” ‘
- ” This day the LORD your God commands you to observe these statutes and judgments; therefore you shall be careful to observe them with all your heart and with all your soul.
- “Today you have proclaimed the LORD to be your God, and that you will walk in His ways and keep His statutes, His commandments, and His judgments, and that you will obey His voice.
- “Also today the LORD has proclaimed you to be His special people, just as He promised you, that [you] should keep all His commandments,
- “and that He will set you high above all nations which He has made, in praise, in name, and in honor, and that you may be a holy people to the LORD your God, just as He has spoken.”
When the children of Israel possessed the land God had given them, He commanded them to obey His statutes and judgments concerning giving of their first-fruits and tithes. The first-fruit was the first of all the produce of the land. They were also to give their tithes (the first tenth of their income, produce or profit) to the priest and the needy. Their total obedience would make them the holy people of God. The significance of giving your first-fruit and tithe to God is that you put God first before others.
Christians are to seek first God’s kingdom and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33). It also signifies that you love and obey God. Some Christians can go for a whole year without paying their first-fruits. This is wrong. Some do not pay their tithes in full. This is also wrong. If you are one of such people, please repent today and obey God. Decide today to give God your first-fruits and tithes for they belong to Him. Such obedience will open to you doors of blessings as God’s child. May God touch you to comply from this day forward.
PRAYER: Help me gracious Lord to give You my life and my all in Jesus’ name. Amen.