The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 25 April 2022 – Let Us Go Again
TOPIC: Let Us Go Again
READ: Acts 15:35-41 (NKJV)
- Paul and Barnabas also remained in Antioch, teaching and preaching the word of the Lord, with many others also.
- Then after some days Paul said to Barnabas, “Let us now go back and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the Lord, [and see] how they are doing.”
- Now Barnabas was determined to take with them John called Mark.
- But Paul insisted that they should not take with them the one who had departed from them in Pamphylia, and had not gone with them to the work.
- Then the contention became so sharp that they parted from one another. And so Barnabas took Mark and sailed to Cyprus;
- but Paul chose Silas and departed, being commended by the brethren to the grace of God.
- And he went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.
Paul and Barnabas, together with many others were preaching and teaching the word of God at Antioch when Paul saw a need to visit people, they had preached to in other cities so as to ascertain how they were faring. This is both a challenge and a call for us Christians to be about our Master’s business. It was stated clearly that they were teaching and preaching the word of the Lord; not the philosophies of man nor the mysteries of the world.
This commitment to preach the word had taken them to different cities and places. This should apply to us: We have a challenge to go back to individuals/churches/communities/cities that we have preached in, to find out how they are faring. So many times, some of the works we do in preaching the word to people, more often than not, are overgrown with weeds and need to be weeded again and again. A ‘hit-and-run’ approach will not suffice if we must disciple those we reach out to with the word. Let us go again!
PRAYER: Lord I want to be about my Father’s business. Grant me grace to do this with diligence and the sense of urgency it demands.