The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 25 May 2022 ~ Consequences Of Disobedience
TOPIC: Consequences Of Disobedience
READ: Deuteronomy 28:58- 68 (NKJV)
- “If you do not carefully observe all the words of this law that are written in this book, that you may fear this glorious and awesome name, THE LORD YOUR GOD,
- then the Lord will bring upon you and your descendants extraordinary plagues—great and prolonged plagues—and serious and prolonged sicknesses.
- Moreover He will bring back on you all the diseases of Egypt, of which you were afraid, and they shall cling to you.
- Also every sickness and every plague, which is not written in this Book of the Law, will the Lord bring upon you until you are destroyed.
- You shall be left few in number, whereas you were as the stars of heaven in multitude, because you would not obey the voice of the Lord your God.
- And it shall be, that just as the Lord rejoiced over you to do you good and multiply you, so the Lord will rejoice over you to destroy you and bring you to nothing; and you shall be plucked from off the land which you go to possess.
- “Then the Lord will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to the other, and there you shall serve other gods, which neither you nor your fathers have known—wood and stone.
- And among those nations you shall find no rest, nor shall the sole of your foot have a resting place; but there the Lord will give you a trembling heart, failing eyes, and anguish of soul.
- Your life shall hang in doubt before you; you shall fear day and night, and have no assurance of life.
- In the morning you shall say, ‘Oh, that it were evening!’ And at evening you shall say, ‘Oh, that it were morning!’ because of the fear which terrifies your heart, and because of the sight which your eyes see.
- “And the Lord will take you back to Egypt in ships, by the way of which I said to you, ‘You shall never see it again.’ And there you shall be offered for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but no one will buy you.”
The Israelites were told the consequences of their disobedience to the words of God. Disobedience to God would attract punishment such as extraordinary plagues, prolonged sicknesses, affliction with diseases of the Egyptians, reduction of their population, joyful destruction by God, being scattered among other nations to serve foreign gods, no peace, trembling hearts, being fearful always and bondage of slavery or captivity.
Disobedience to parents attracts some form of punishment or denial. Disobedience to constituted authority could result in imprisonment. Why would God who is a God of righteousness and justice not punish those who deliberately disobey Him. Are you an obedient or a disobedient Christian? If you are disobedient, know then that God is not happy with you. If you live in disobedience to God, then you should be ready to receive the consequences of your misdeeds which are disastrous. Therefore, decide now to live in obedience than disobedience to God and you will be blessed. You can do better by asking God to forgive you, give you a new heart and put His holy Spirit in you to make you obey Him (Ezekiel 36:25-27).
PRAYER: Help me, O God, never to disobey Your word so that the consequences of disobedience will not follow me in Jesus’ name. Amen.