The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 26 May 2022 ~ Jesus The High Priest
TOPIC: Jesus The High Priest
READ: Hebrews 7:11-28 (NKJV)
- Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need [was there] that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron?
- For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.
- For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has officiated at the altar.
- For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood.
- And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest
- who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life. 17. For He testifies: “You are a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek.”
- For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness,
- for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.
- And inasmuch as He was not made priest without an oath
- (for they have become priests without an oath, but He with an oath by Him who said to Him: “The Lord has sworn And will not relent, ‘You are a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek’ ”),
- by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant.
- Also there were many priests, because they were prevented by death from continuing.
- But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood.
- Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
- For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens;
- who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.
- For the law appoints as high priests men who have weakness, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints the Son who has been perfected forever.
The Levitical priesthood arose according to the order of Aaron but the priesthood of Jesus was according to the order of Melchizedek. The old priesthood order came from the tribe of Levi while the new priesthood order came from the tribe of Judah. The High priesthood of Jesus was the only one that was made with an oath by God, whereby Jesus became a surety of a better covenant. Also, the priesthood of Jesus is unchanging and continues forever, hence, He always lives to make intercession for the saints. The old Levitical priesthood was changed because it was weak and unprofitable.
On the other hand, the new High priesthood of Jesus brings a better hope, through which we draw near to God. Death prevented the priests of th e order of Aaron from continuing, but death has no power over the new High priesthood of Jesus because He offered Himself once and for all and was perfected forever as an unchangeable priesthood. Thank God you have the High priest – Jesus – who has become higher than the Heavens; and is able to save those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. Have you gone to Jesus for your salvation? He is interceding for you now.
PRAYER: Thank You Father for giving us an everlasting High Priest in Jesus Christ. Amen.