The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 3 June 2022 ~ Guidance
READ: Exodus 13:17-22 (NKJV)
- Then it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God did not lead them [by] way of the land of the Philistines, although that [was] near; for God said, “Lest perhaps the people change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt.”
- So God led the people around [by] way of the wilderness of the Red Sea. And the children of Israel went up in orderly ranks out of the land of Egypt.
- And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him, for he had placed the children of Israel under solemn oath, saying, “God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here with you.”
- So they took their journey from Succoth and camped in Etham at the edge of the wilderness.
- And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so as to go by day and night.
- He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night [from] before the people.
As God’s children, we desperately need His guidance and direction in every detail of our life. Many have fallen into terrible ditches of life because they did not seek God’s guidance. In today’s passage, we see God passionately ordering the steps of His children to prevent them from entering into the hands of enemies (verse 17). If Israel had headed directly to Palestine, it would have taken them about two weeks to get there, since it was a shorter route (verse 17). They however, spent 40 years in the desert before getting to their destination.
The natural man will regard this option as unreasonable but God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform. He led them by a pillar of cloud in the day, and pillar of fire in the night (verse 21). Surely the steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord (Psalm 37:32). Many Christians undertake very important decisions of life without caring to know the mind of God about such ventures. Some avoid God’s guidance because they feel that His ways will prolong the attainment of their desires. God desires to guide us through this dark world, so that we do not stumble in darkness (see Psalm 119:105). Allow Him to guide you in every area of your life and you will look back and appreciate why He led you through the mountains and hills unto victory.
PRAYER: Lead us heavenly Father lead us… (Hymn A&M 311 Stanza 1)