The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 30 May 2022 ~ Set Things In Order
TOPIC: Set Things In Order
READ: Deuteronomy 31:1-13 (NKJV)
- Then Moses went and spoke these words to all Israel.
- And he said to them: “I [am] one hundred and twenty years old today. I can no longer go out and come in. Also the LORD has said to me, ‘You shall not cross over this Jordan.’
- “The LORD your God Himself crosses over before you; He will destroy these nations from before you, and you shall dispossess them. Joshua himself crosses over before you, just as the LORD has said.
- “And the LORD will do to them as He did to Sihon and Og, the kings of the Amorites and their land, when He destroyed them.
- “The LORD will give them over to you, that you may do to them according to every commandment which I have commanded you.
- “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He [is] the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”
- Then Moses called Joshua and said to him in the sight of all Israel, “Be strong and of good courage, for you must go with this people to the land which the LORD has sworn to their fathers to give them, and you shall cause them to inherit it.
- “And the LORD, He [is] the one who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.”
- So Moses wrote this law and delivered it to the priests, the sons of Levi, who bore the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and to all the elders of Israel.
- And Moses commanded them, saying: “At the end of [every] seven years, at the appointed time in the year of release, at the Feast of Tabernacles,
- “when all Israel comes to appear before the LORD your God in the place which He chooses, you shall read this law before all Israel in their hearing.
- “Gather the people together, men and women and little ones, and the stranger who [is] within your gates, that they may hear and that they may learn to fear the LORD your God and carefully observe all the words of this law,
- “and [that] their children, who have not known it, may hear and learn to fear the LORD your God as long as you live in the land which you cross the Jordan to possess.”
At the age of 120 years, Moses told the Israelites that he could not continue as their leader. He told them that they had to cross the Jordan River to enter into their Promised Land, and that God and Joshua would go with them. He asked them to be strong and courageous for the Lord their God would go with them. Moses publicly admonished Joshua to be strong and courageous as he would lead the people to inherit their land. He finally commanded them to gather everybody to hear the word of God during their feast of Tabernacles.
At old age, Moses had to set things in order before he died. People without elders are bound to err. Elder Moses encouraged both the Israelites and their new leader, Joshua, to go and possess the land. An Igbo adage says that an elder cannot be at home and the she-goat will deliver her young on the tether. Are you an elder in your house, establishment or Church? Please speak up and set things in order before you die. Fathers should set things in order by writing their wills before they die. Otherwise, you may leave behind court cases between your children.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, please help our fathers and elders to set things in order before they die in Jesus’ name. Amen.