The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 8 April 2022 – False And True Trust
TOPIC: False And True Trust
READ: Jeremiah 17:5-18 (NKJV)
- Thus says the LORD: “Cursed [is] the man who trusts in man And makes flesh his strength, Whose heart departs from the LORD.
- For he shall be like a shrub in the desert, And shall not see when good comes, But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, [In] a salt land [which is] not inhabited.
- “Blessed [is] the man who trusts in the LORD, And whose hope is the LORD.
- For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit.
- ” The heart [is] deceitful above all [things,] And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
- I, the LORD, search the heart, [I] test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.
- ” [As] a partridge that broods but does not hatch, [So is] he who gets riches, but not by right; It will leave him in the midst of his days, And at his end he will be a fool.”
- A glorious high throne from the beginning [Is] the place of our sanctuary.
- O LORD, the hope of Israel, All who forsake You shall be ashamed. “Those who depart from Me Shall be written in the earth, Because they have forsaken the LORD, The fountain of living waters.”
- Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; Save me, and I shall be saved, For You [are] my praise.
- Indeed they say to me, “Where [is] the word of the LORD? Let it come now!”
- As for me, I have not hurried away from [being] a shepherd [who] follows You, Nor have I desired the woeful day; You know what came out of my lips; It was right there before You.
- Do not be a terror to me; You [are] my hope in the day of doom.
- Let them be ashamed who persecute me, But do not let me be put to shame; Let them be dismayed, But do not let me be dismayed. Bring on them the day of doom, And destroy them with double destruction!
Today, we are faced with two kinds of trust systems and their implications. The first refers to those who trust in man, who make flesh their arm and whose hearts depart from the Lord. Such people, according to God’s word, shall be like stunted shrubs in the desert; they shall not see when good comes.
The second group refers to those who trust in the Lord. They are different because they are like trees planted by the waters that spread out their roots by the river; they shall not see heat; their leaves are always green and in dry season, they always have water. They bear fruit continually. God challenges us to trust Him; He will not disappoint us. But if we trust man, we are building our house on a faulty foundation. Will you trust God or man? The choice is yours.
PRAYER: Oh Lord, help me to trust you always.