The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 9 April 2022 – The Potter And The Clay
TOPIC: The Potter And The Clay
READ: Jeremiah 18:1-12 (NKJV)
- The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying:
- “Arise and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will cause you to hear My words.”
- Then I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was, making something at the wheel.
- And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make.
- Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying:
- “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the LORD. “Look, as the clay [is] in the potter’s hand, so [are] you in My hand, O house of Israel!
- “The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy [it,]
- “if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it.
- “And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant [it,]
- “if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.
- ” Now therefore, speak to the men of Judah and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD: “Behold, I am fashioning a disaster and devising a plan against you. Return now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.” ‘ “
- And they said, “That is hopeless! So we will walk according to our own plans, and we will every one obey the dictates of his evil heart.”
The Lord used the illustration of the Potter and the clay to teach prophet Jeremiah His sovereignty over His creatures. He taught him that just as the potter has right and power over the clay, so also God has power and right over our lives. We have at least a lesson from the reading of today: God has the right to decide the mould and shape He wants our lives to be; and He has the right and power to ‘break’ any aspect of our lives that do not conform to His desired shape.
Therefore, to benefit from the moulding ability of God, we need humility and submission to Him so that He would craft us into the shape of His plan and purpose for us. If we refuse Him, we break ourselves against His plan for us. He is the Potter; we are the clay. Surrender and submit to Him in all things and He will mould your life to His own glory.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, I submit to You as a clay to the Potter. Please, mould me!.