Open Heaven For Teens 8 May 2022: Attitudes Of Goal-Getters
TOPIC: Attitudes Of Goal-Getters [Open Heaven for Teens 8 May 2022]
MEMORISE: Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men. Proverbs 22:29
READ: 1 Samuel 17:48-50
- And it came to pass, when the Philistine arose, and came, and drew nigh to meet David, that David hastened, and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine.
- And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
- So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: John 1:29-51 , 1 Kings 16-18
Israel was terrorized by the Philistines for 40 days. Goliath, the head of the enemy had vowed that if he killed the representative of the Israelites, they would become slaves to the Philistines. When David came on the scene, he became infuriated by Goliath’s words, especially because he mocked the name of the Lord, so he volunteered to engage him in battle.
David didn’t find it easy with his goal of killing Goliath. First, Eliab, his elder brother rebuked him for being nosy in areas where even elders feared to tread. Second, King Saul tried to discourage him and later gave him an armour he was not used to. Third, Goliath himself felt insulted that a small boy came to fight him with a catapult and stones. However, against all odds, David stood before Goliath fearlessly and won.
My child, if you must reach your goal, you must carefully select who and what to listen to. Stay away from those who talk down or rubbish your goals, rather, stick with people who will encourage you. Also, like David, stay focused, confront any challenge fearlessly and never forget to rely on God. With Him on your side, you will reach your goal.
Father, please let nothing stop me from reaching the goal You’ve set for my life, in Jesus name.
HYMN: I’m Pressing On The Upward Way
- I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher
Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith on heaven’s table-land;
Where love and joy and light abound,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
- My heart has no desire to stay,
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where
My constant aim is higher ground.
- Beyond the mist I fain would rise,
To rest beneath unclouded skies,
Above earth’s turmoil peace is found
By those who dwell on higher ground.
- I long to scale the utmost height,
Though rough the way, and hard the fight,
My song while climbing shall resound
Lord lead me on to higher ground.
- Lord lead me up the mountain side,
I dare not climb without my Guide;
And heaven gained, I’ll gaze around,
With grateful heart from higher ground.
Daily Devotional for Teen’s guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.