The Word Of God Came By Dr. D.K Olukoya
THE MOUNTAIN OF FIRE AND MIRACLE MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
SUNDAY WORSHIP SERVICE
TOPIC: THE WORD OF GOD CAME
ANCHORED SCRIPTURES: MATTHEW 4:1-7, 8-11, LUKE 3:1- 2, 2 CORINTHIANS 11:3
MINISTER: DR. DANIEL OLUKOYA (G.O MFM WORLDWIDE)
In Matthew 4:4, we begin to see some of the mysteries of the Word which many believers overlook. When the devil quoted the Bible to Jesus, He replied with “it is written”. Notice that when this was taking place, Jesus was not carrying the Bible to read from. It was already inside of Him. We fall flat before the enemy when the word of God is not in us. The devil did not give up on Jesus.
That passage is a very powerful passage that God has specifically put in our Bibles to let us know the power in the Word of God. The Bible says “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword”. So when you confront the enemy without the Word of God, you will be defeated. Your prayers become more potent when they have the Word of God in them; meaning that in any situation you face, you must be able to say “it is written.” That always is a life saver.
We are talking about the power of that Word and why it is very crucial and important that every man must become a Bible student. Every man must know the Word of God. All believers must be Biblically literate. It is when the Word of God is not in somebody that he will be tossed up and down and from place to place, moving you about like sheep without a shepherd.
The Word of God came to John in the wilderness. If you look for a scientist or you are an archaeologist and a child of God, you will discover very soon that looking at how the knowledge of science began, evolution of knowledge all over the world, you will discover that almost all disciplines came from the Bible. The Bible is still the King and Queen of all books. I as a scientist know that the Bible covers all of the sciences. I am aware that all the prestigious universities emerged from the church. It is the church of God that gave birth to Harvard University, Cambridge University and the rest.
It is the ten commandments that gave rise to all the other laws that people are bringing out now. All disciplines are provided for, and took their inspirations from the Bible. As far back as the time of Israelites in Egypt, we see architecture. They were building pyramids.
Are you talking about military strategies? Most of the military patterns came from the wars that were fought in the Bible. Are you talking about economics? The principles of accountability, recording and auditing are all in the Bible. Whether we like it or not, God is still the greatest accountant, because one day, all of us will give account of all our lives. God told us that everybody must stand before that judgment seat and give account.
Is it music? Music started in heaven. It did not start from here. The angels were the first people to start singing. The whole of the book of Psalms is actually music. The origin of choirs is in the Bible.
Is it oceanography? The man who is called the father of oceanography started to study it after he had read Psalms 8, where he read that things were passing by the paths of the sea. And if you have ever gone to that place where they drop human beings into the sea to see the sea depth, you will find that inside the sea, there are main roads, cross roads and intersections right there.
If you talk about history, everybody started from Shem, Ham and Japheth, the three sons of Noah. So the only document that talks about the past, present and the future is the Bible. Even medical science started from the Bible. Anaesthesia started from the Bible because God made Adam sleep and He removed a rib from him. All inventions like telephones, televisions, computers took their inspiration from the Bible. So, we cheat ourselves seriously when we neglect Bible study. You cheat yourself seriously if you say you are only interested in prayer and not Bible study.
We just read about John the Baptist. For thirty years, he was in the wilderness. His parents would have told him all those wonderful things said by the angel about him. The angel told Zechariah wonderful things about him and John would have been wondering when all those prophecies would come to pass. Suddenly, something happened. John the Baptist that was unknown, in the desert, in an obscure place, that nobody was talking about for thirty years, who nobody knew what he was doing, who was a nobody to reckon with, suddenly had the word of God come to him.
Others were busy doing all kinds of things in the city, but he was in the desert. Others were socialising, playing politics, partying and fornicating but he was in the desert. Then something happened to him which we read in Luke just now. The word of the Lord came to him. The word of the Lord that would change his life came to him. That Word came to him and everything about his life changed. The previous week nobody knew him, but when the Word of God came to him, the direction of his life changed.
People then began rushing to the wilderness, and if you ask them, they would say “to John the Baptist in the wilderness. There is a man in that wilderness baptising people.” This was strange. People were rushing from the city into the bush. Something came to his life and that thing promoted him. That thing was able to draw Jerusalem, Judaea and everywhere to him. Had he changed? No. Did he change his dress? No. Did he change his voice? No. Something came to him.
It is not about your dress. It is not about church decoration. It is not about serving jollof rice after service. The reason you are still wasting your time is because nothing has come upon you yet. If what came to John comes to you, it will be a different thing entirely.
I am praying for all who are listening to me here today: that which came to John the Baptist and changed his story forever must come to you, in the name of Jesus!
If nothing comes to you, your wearing new dresses is a waste of time. Your trying to talk like an American is a waste of time. So the word of God must come to you.
And I decree that it shall be so, in the name of Jesus!
Now, listen even more carefully now. The Bible makes it very clear that Satan attacks our minds. Why should he attack people’s minds? Because your mind is part of the image that God gave to you. Your mind is where God communicates with you. It is where God reveals His will to you. No wonder the Bible says “above all things, keep your minds with all diligence; because out of it are the issues of life.” It is sad that some Christians have minimizes the issue of the mind when the Bible emphasizes its importance.
God renews our lives by renewing our minds. The Bible tells us in Romans 12:2 – And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Satan went to Eve and played on the mind of that woman. He got the woman to believe a man. So if satan cannot get you to believe a life, he cannot start anything in your life. But if he can get you to believe a lie, he can work in your life.
That is why the Bible says “sanctify them through thy truth, thy word is truth”. Satan attacks minds, so we must protect our minds from the attacks of the wicked. The Bible says “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” The Bible also says “as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he”.
Satan knows the power of the mind and he tries to put confusion in our minds to deceive us. This is a very serious matter. So our defence is the inspired Word of God. You cannot reason with Satan. You cannot even simply converse with him. Mouth wisdom cannot match Satan’s cunning wisdom. The only defence is the Word of God. It is this Word of God our Lord used when he was tempted in the wilderness which we have read this morning. Our Lord did not choose divine power to defeat Satan. He used the same weapon available to us today: The Word of God.
If you and I are going to defeat satan permanently in our lives, we must depend upon the Word of God. And this is a very serious matter. If you want to defeat Satan in your life, you want your mind to be renewed, you want to be a terror to the kingdom of darkness, what must you do?
1. We must know God’s word. We must be Biblically literate. There is no reason any believer should be ignorant of the Bible. If somebody is talking to you like this, as a believer who is reading the Bible, once he is getting it wrong, you should know this or that is unscriptural, it is not right. But when you do not even know what the Bible is saying, then the enemy preys on you so easily. And good enough, the word of God is available to us in so many translations now. There are multitude of Bible heads who were not available many years ago.
There are many good Bible teachers. Listen, if an intelligent believer does not know the Bible today, it is your own fault. This means we must of course take time to read and study the Bible. No man can master the Word of God in a lifetime. But we can learn all we can. What I am begging you for and telling you now is that we must make time to read and study the word of God. If somebody can go to his shrine to memorise 201 incantations to do evil, we must be loaded with the word of God. Just like the man who is to operate a machine is studying the manual, and the surgeon is studying books to do his surgery, Christians must study the Word of God.
Bible study is not a luxury, it is a necessity. It is not optional. You stand on three legs spiritually if you must succeed:
- The Holy Spirit
- Prayer and
- The word of God.
You must balance on those three legs. You cannot say you do not want the Holy Spirit, you will not succeed. You cannot say you do not want the Word of God, you will not succeed. You cannot say you do not want to pray, you will not succeed. You must make plan to read the Word of God. It takes 56 hours to read the whole of the Bible through. And if you are reading five chapters on Sundays and three chapters every other day, you will finish it in a year.
2. We must memorise God’s Word. It is a shame that many think that memorization is for little children. Our Lord Jesus did not have a Bible dictionary or a concordance with Him. As the devil began to talk, He began to tell the devil what was written in Deuteronomy and quoted three verses to silence Him. If somebody wants to harm you and is saying rubbish and nonsense against you and you are not loaded with the Word of God to respond, there will be trouble. Read your Bible well.
When David confronted Goliath and Goliath spoke, David did not keep quiet. He said “No, you have defied the armies of the Living God. Who is this uncircumcised Philistine?”. He began to speak, to counter his words.
The truth is this: most adults think Bible memorization is for children when it is actually for every believer. To be quite honest with you, the adult Christian needs more of the Word of God than children. Although it is good for children to memorise scriptures, the adults need it. Psalm 119:11 says “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
Listen beloveth: you must have a systematic Bible memorization program. If you do not have one, start one immediately. And this is why everyone must have this memory verse kit so that at least in a year, if you follow this card, you would have learnt 52 memory verses. I am going to give 3 months after which I expect that you would have learnt 12 memory verses. So, do not let us embarass you in our services. If you can read it and get it well, you get a prize. But if you do not get it, we will ask you to go for deliverance so that you will be free from whatever is stealing the word of God from you.
3. We must meditate on God’s word. Meditation to the inner man is what digestion is, to the outer man. If you do not digest your food, you will fall sick and die. The Bible says “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” This is a serious matter and I do not want you to leave here and be somebody who will be Biblically illiterate.
I do not want you to leave here and be someone who is Biblically illiterate. You must sincerely delight in the word of God. You must take the word of God as your duty. Do not rush through your morning devotions. Take time to feed on God’s truth.
4. We must use the Word of God. The life of a Christian must be like a spiritual computer. You should be so saturated with scriptures that if anything comes up, you automatically remember the scripture that is relevant to what you are facing. It is the ministry of the Holy Spirit to bring the Word of God to our remembrance. But if you do not learn it, or memorise it, there is nothing the Holy Spirit will bring to your remembrance.
Ask yourself questions:
- do I spend time daily reading the word of God?
- do I meditate on the Word of God?
- do I see myself thinking about the Bible before taking a decision? All these are things we should take serious as we start our 70 days fasting and prayer program. There are saints in the scripture that meditate on the Word of God early in the morning and late at night. It is these kinds of Christians who are so full with the Word that can defeat Satan. Anytime situations are confronting us, we use the Word of God.
PRAYER POINTS:[Before Message]
- Powers of Goliath assigned to kill my laughter, what are you waiting for? Die! in the name of Jesus.
- Any evil thing, planted into my life by unfriendly friends, what are you waiting for? Die! in the name of Jesus.
- This month, hear the Word of the Lord, favour me by fire! in the name of Jesus.
- O God arise, give me divine dreams that will change my story, in the name of Jesus.
- Angels of revelation, visit my dream life, in the name of Jesus.
- Holy Ghost Fire, overshadow my life, in the name of Jesus.
- Powers working against my rising and shining, you are liars, die in the name of Jesus.
NGDevotionals Notice Board: Until you are born again, God ever abiding presence will never be with you. You must be born again to enjoy continuous victory. Please say the displayed prayer below in faith:
Lord Jesus, come into my life. I accept You as my Lord and Personal Saviour. I believe in my heart You died and rose from the dead to save me. Thank You Lord for saving me, in Jesus name Amen.
If you just prayed the prayer of salvation online please send your testimonies and prayer request to email@example.com, +234 (803) 078-0919 OR +234 (817) 363-1657.